Catching Butterflies

Catching Butterflies I

This morning there was frost on the grass and I felt pretty good about myself. Why? Not only was I prepared with a new warm coat and a pair of boots for my daughter, but incredibly enough I have knit her a pair of fingerless gloves and I finished them just in time! Shocking, right? I have been spending a lot of time sitting around waiting lately and making lemonade out of lemons I have put the time to good use and have been knitting.

Knitting these gloves was quite a journey. Choosing the yarn was easy. I knew I wanted to use the Merino Cashmere blend yarn and she liked it right away, but which colour? My youngest daughter knows her mind and on the third (!) try I finally go the colour she wanted. Picking the pattern was easy too. When I showed her the pattern by Tiny Owl she was hooked.

Knitting the pattern was not so straight forward. The yarn I used is very similar to the one in the pattern so I cast-on with my usual long-tail cast-on and knit away. I knew fairly soon that I was in trouble, but she was in school and I had time to knit. The thing is, these gloves are tiny. So I suggest you knit them for someone with slender arms and small hands, knit it with a DK weight yarn or cast on more stitches.

When my 13 y/o daughter tried the first glove on it did fit, but the cast-on was uncomfortably tight. She bravely told me she could manage it.  At that point I was well into the glove and did not want to start over, so I soldiered on. As a bind-off I used the sewn bind off for more elasticity. I left the thumbs for last and started on the second glove, for which I used the backwards-loop cast-on. Much better!

While I was knitting the second glove I was thinking about how I could fix the too tight cast-on and after finding this video I decided to cut off the whole cuff and re-knit it again this time in the other direction. It was fairly easy and worked really well. I finished the the gloves and gave them to my daughter to try them on. She was very pleased about the cuff, but now we had a new problem: In one glove she could not get her thumb into it and on the other one the thumb turned bright red right away. It was cutting off her circulation! At that point we both started laughing.

I unraveled the thumbs, re-knit them with added stitches and started on the butterflies. It turns out that it is quite difficult to get even tension on mohair boucle yarn, so that the butterflies looked a bit lopsided. Still, being so close to the finish line I attached them and proudly handed the gloves to my daughter. I was happy until I saw her face. She said that the butterflies did not look like butterflies and the “bodies” looked weird. She’d rather have no butterflies than these. Ouch!

Catching Butterflies III

OK, I wanted her to have butterflies on her gloves, so I re-knit one butterfly, embroidered the body with a running stitch and discovered I could improve the other butterflies’ shapes by running a thread through them and tightening it a bit without it being noticeable. Finally success!

Catching Butterflies II

 

The pattern  for the Catching Butterflies gloves by Tiny Owl Knits can also be found on Ravelry.

About these ads

1 Response to “Catching Butterflies”



  1. 1 Getting over the butterflies | tinkerbellknits Trackback on November 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm
Comments are currently closed.




Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 426 other followers